Peacock Spiders




A four millimetre spider hiding in the undergrowth is the sort of thing the average Sydney bushwalker would pass right by. But not this man. 

Dr Jurgen Otto 
has a very keen eye for small things. "When I walk around the bush I usually don't look into the trees, I usually look on the ground. There was a spider that just looked different to other spiders I'd seen before so I was very curious...and I took a couple of photos". 



Dr Otto has become enamoured with these tiny jumping spiders, as I'm sure anybody will who is interested in wildlife.



Jurgen Otto says on his Facebook Page...
"This is a clip that appeared recently on the UK Discovery channel. It gives you a little glimpse into the "world" I retreat to after coming home from work, a world of dirt, litter and sticks but full of beauty and drama, in which the guys look pretty and the girls are barely noticeable, and flirting with the wrong girl gets you killed. A world that is so different from ours in some respects, but at the same time also so similar. It has always been the scale at which this happens that fascinated me most. I cannot walk anymore over litter such as this without wondering what I am stepping on an quietly saying to myself "I hope they will be alright".

My first video "Peacock Spider" was shot completely in the wild but for other species that are not as conveniently located as Maratus volans I had to film a lot at home and mix it with some scenes from the original locations http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/you-have-been-warned/videos/?video=you-have-been-warned-disco-dancing-spider



Comments